Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Applying for social assistance

You can apply for social assistance benefit from the municipality of Arnhem. In addition to the above conditions, you will not receive social assistance benefits if you: 

  • do not work due to a strike or work lockout
  • are on unpaid leave
  • are following a course for which you receive or may receive a student grant
  • are younger than 27 and do not want to fulfil the reintegration obligation
  • are younger than 27 and do not want to fulfil the obligation to attend school
  • does not reside in the Netherlands
  • you are a foreign national without a right of residence or equivalent
  • are detained
  • are younger than 18 years

You need a DigiD to make an appointment.

You can request an interview with an employee of the Work and Income department of the municipality of Arnhem. Together with you, we look at your personal situation: work, education and income. We will also check whether you need temporary income support (benefits). If you presumably qualify for social assistance benefits, you can submit an application after the interview. You will then receive an application form from the municipality of Arnhem and an overview with additional information that they need from you.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Arnhem

Last updated on 22 September 2022