Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a planning permit

Are you planning to build or demolish something in your garden or next to your home? For example, do you intend to build a garage or cut down a tree? If so, you will often need a planning permit (omgevingsvergunning). You can apply for this permit via the Omgevingsloket. In some cases you only need to notify the authorities, and no permit is required.

You need a planning permit for various activities in your garden or in and around your house, such as: 

  • construction; 
  • demolition; 
  • building a driveway; 
  • modifying, renovating or restoring a listed building; 
  • cutting down trees. 

Go to the Omgevingsloket (online environment portal) to check whether you require a planning permit (in Dutch) or if just a notification is sufficient.

You can apply for a planning permit via the Omgevingsloket (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

permit for physical aspects

Do you want to know whether you need an omgevingsvergunning (planning permit)? You can do an online vergunningcheck (permit check) at the Omgevingsloket online (planning permit online service desk) in Dutch.

The permit check shows which documents you need to enclose with the application. An architect or contractor can help you with this.

This is how you apply for planning permission:

  1. Go to the Omgevingsloket online.
  2. Do the vergunningcheck.
  3. See whether you need a permit.
  4. You can apply for the permit immediately online or in writing. Use the Omgevingsloket for both options. Log in: 
    * for yourself: with DigiD 
    * for a company: with eHerkenning

The cost depends on which all-in-one permit for physical aspects you apply for. Note that you must pay even if your application is rejected.

For more information, contact Omgevingsdienst Rivierenland on (0344) 57 93 14 or The environment service will answer your question by phone or in writing on behalf of the municipality.

The municipality will need 8 weeks (standard procedure) to assess your application. It will sometimes take 26 weeks (extended procedure). This will be the case, for example, if you want something different from what is stated in the bestemmingsplan (zoning plan). The municipality can extend the period once for a period of 6 weeks.

You can view the list of permit applications and decisions on the page Announcements of municipality Zaltbommel.

Do you disagree with the decision? If so, you can lodge a complaint. The following applies:

  • For a standard permit (8 weeks), you must lodge a complaint within 6 weeks of the decision being made and published. 
  • For an extended permit (26 weeks), the initial decision is a pending decision. You can submit your response within 6 weeks. After that a final decision will be issued. You can appeal to the rechtbank (district court) within 6 weeks.

Good to know

You may start work only once you have received the permit. If you start earlier, you may be required to undo the work at your own expense.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Zaltbommel

Last updated on 2 January 2024