Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport) at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you can apply for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport) at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Apply for a new passport or renew your old one
Please note. You can only apply for or renew a passport if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
- All travel documents (passport and ID card) you have now, even if they have already expired.
- A coloured passport photo that meets the requirements for passport photos. The passport photo that closely resembles you may not be more than 6 months old at the time of the application. It's impossible to have a passport photo taken at the municipality.
- A debit card or cash. You pay directly with the application.
- Minors need written permission when applying for a travel document.
You apply for a passport in person at the municipality in which you live. Make an appointment to apply for a passport.
Are you coming with several people? Then indicate the number of people when you make the appointment.
- Adults: € 83,85
- Children up to the age of 18: € 63,40
- Urgent request: € 57,05 extra
After around a week, you can collect your passport yourself from the municipality. This also applies to children up to the age of 18. When you apply, you will be provided with more information about how to collect your passport.
You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
Do you need your passport sooner than that?
- If you need your passport quickly, you can make a spoedaanvraag (urgent request). If you apply for the passport before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. Allow for some delay if you no longer have your old passport.
- If you need the passport today, contact the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Marechaussee) for an emergency passport.
- An adult passport is valid for 10 years.
- For children up to the age of 18, a passport is valid for 5 years.