Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one in the Netherlands

Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.

  • Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality. 
  • Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
  • Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport. 
  • Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport) at your municipality. 
  • Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you can apply for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport) at your municipality.

Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one

To apply for a passport, make an appointment with the municipality of Nieuwkoop.

You can only apply for or renew a passport if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Do you have Dutch nationality, but no permanent residence in the Netherlands? Then you can apply for or extend a passport at a border municipality.

You apply for your passport yourself and collect it yourself. Are you applying for a passport for your minor child? Then take your child with you when applying and when you pick it up. You pay the costs when you apply.

Bring with you when applying for a passport

  • All your travel documents: passport and/or identity card, valid or not valid. Has your travel document expired but do you have a valid driver's license? Then you also take the driver's license with you!
  • One matching passport photo in color that meets the passport photo requirements. Note: the photo must have sufficient contrast.
  • Children under the age of eighteen: permission from both parents (or those who have custody of the child) and (a copy of) the identity document of both parents/those who have custody.
  • Permission can be given with DigiD or in writing. For written permission, you can download and complete the permission form.
  • Is one of the parents unable or unwilling to give permission? You can request replacement permission from the court in The Hague.
  • Your debit card (for your and our safety, please pin) or cash.

Traveling with minor children

In case of doubt whether you are the parent/guardian, take the following papers with you on your trip:

  • A permission form (via the website of the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee).
  • Copy of passport of consenting parent.
  • Recent international extract from the Basic Registration of Personal Data (BRP) of the child, with parental data.

You apply for a passport in person at the municipality in which you live. Make an appointment to apply for a passport. An appointment can be made via telephone number +31 172 521100, or online.

Emergency passport

Are you leaving today? You will then need an emergency document, which will be issued by the Marechaussee. More information about this can be found on the website of the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee.

Passport lost or stolen

Has your passport been lost or stolen? You do not have to report this to the police, but you can report this directly online to the municipality. This is necessary to prevent misuse of your old travel document and to apply for a new travel document.

The message is processed immediately. The document is then invalid and can no longer be used. Can you find your passport after you have made a declaration? Then you are obliged to submit the document to the municipality. You can therefore no longer use your recovered document. The document is registered as missing. This registration cannot be reversed. Your stolen or missing document is registered to prevent fraud and abuse.

Have you lost your passport or identity card abroad? Report this to the local police as soon as possible. Then immediately apply for a new passport or temporary travel document (emergency passport or laissez-passer) at the Dutch embassy or consulate. This allows you to travel back to the Netherlands. When you return to the Netherlands, you must also file a declaration with the municipality.

Traveling with minor children

Some countries outside the Schengen area require proof that the accompanying adult is the parent or has custody. For a parent traveling alone with a different last name than the child, this can cause problems at customs. Read more about border control during long journeys on the website of the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee.

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality.

The passport will be ready for you after a maximum of five working days by appointment at the reception in the hall of the town hall.

You have 3 months to collect your new passport.

Need a passport faster?

Need a passport quickly? Then make an urgent request. If you apply for the passport before 2 p.m., you can, in principle, collect the passport the next working day from 9.15 a.m. by appointment. You pay more for an urgent application than for a normal application. If you no longer have your old passport or identity card, an urgent procedure is not always possible. Please contact the municipality of Nieuwkoop by telephone on +31 172 521100.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nieuwkoop

Visiting address

Teylersplein 1

2441LE Nieuwveen

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 20:00
8:30 - 13:00