Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport) at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you can apply for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport) at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Apply for a passport or identity card
Please note: you can only apply for a new Dutch passport or renew your old one if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Do you hold citizenship of the Netherlands, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a grensgemeente (border municipality) to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one. For example, at the municipality of Maastricht.
You must apply for a passport in person at the municipality where you live. Make an appointment to apply for a passport.
- passport: €58.85 for applicants up to the age of 18
- passport: €77.85 for applicants aged 18 or over
- surcharge for spoedaanvraag (urgent application): €53.00
After around a week, you can collect your passport from the municipality. This also applies to children up to the age of 18. When you apply, you will be provided with more information about how to collect your passport.
You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
Do you need your passport sooner than that?
- Urgent request
If you need your travel document sooner, you can make a spoedaanvraag (urgent request). If you apply for the travel document before 14.00, you will receive it within 2 working days at the latest. You pay a surcharge for this type of request.
Do you need your passport today? You may qualify for an emergency passport from the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Military Police). You will find more information on the defensie.nl website.
- A passport for adults is valid for 10 years.
- A passport for children up to the age of 18 is valid for 5 years.
Mosae Forum 10
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
11:00 - 19:00
08:30 - 12:30