Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a planning permit for activities near water

Do you want to build a shed near water? Or construct a jetty? Then you may need an omgevingsvergunning voor een wateractiviteit – watervergunning (planning permit for activities near water). In some cases a permit is not required and a notification is sufficient. Or you must apply for an exemption.

Where you need to apply to for a permit for activities near water depends on where you are going to carry out your activity:

  • Are you going to carry out activities in or near a ditch, stream, pond, dyke or road managed by a local water authority? If so, you must apply for a permit from your local water authority.
  • Are you going to carry out activities at a highway, viaduct, tunnel, bridge, waterway or dyke  that is managed by a province? Then you must apply for a permit or exemption from the province.
  • Do you want to carry out an activity in or near a large river or lake, such as the Rhine, the Meuse or the IJsselmeer? Then you must apply for a permit from Rijkswaterstaat (executive agency of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management).

If you are not sure where you need to apply for a permit, contact the municipality where you intend to carry out your activity.

You may also need other permits for activities that you intend to carry out under other laws or regulations. One example is an omgevingsvergunning (planning permit). You can obtain information about this from the relevant municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Abstract groundwater or infiltrate water

Are you planning to remove water from the ground (abstraction) or pump it into the ground in connection with it (infiltration)? If so, you must apply for a permit to do so.

You apply to the province for the abstraction of groundwater or infiltration of water when it concerns:

  • industrial applications and the quantity of water that you abstract, exceeds a volume of 150,000 cubic metres per year;
  • a public drinking water supply system;
  • an open ground energy system.

In all other case, you apply to the Water Board for a permit.

Supply the following information: 

  • an Environmental Impact Assessment or the decision on the EIA.
  • a survey report with a proper substantiation of the required quantity of groundwater to be abstracted and the expected consequences of the abstraction or infiltration on the environment.
  • other additions for the purpose of the substantiation.

You can use the practical checklist for your application.

We advise you to first meet with us to prepare an admissible application. In the conversation, we will discuss the purpose and how you will substantiate the application. You can submit a request for preliminary consultation to us via the Province Desk. You apply for your permit at the Environment Counter (Omgvingsloket).

No further information.

In the regular procedure, processing takes place in the following steps:

  • Once you have submitted your application to the Service Counter for Environmental and Planning Permits you will receive a confirmation from the Service Counter with the registration number of your application.
  • The Service Counter forwards your application to the competent authority.
  • When your application is incomplete, we will notify you in writing. The time that you are granted to complete your application, is added to the processing period.
  • We assess your application in terms on the substance and check whether it complies with the law.
  • You receive the final decision which we will publish.
  • Interested parties may submit a notice of objection to the Provincial Executive within six weeks of the decision being made available for inspection.

If you disagree with a decision of the province and have an interest in that decision. You can file an objection. For more information you can visit our website.

If you have any questions please contact us by telephone +31 26359 9999.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Gelderland

Last updated on 23 January 2024