Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a permit for special transport on a waterway

There are rules for waterways, such as rivers and canals. For example, how big your ship is allowed to be to use the waterway. Is your ship larger than allowed? Or do you want to carry special goods on the waterway? You must then apply for a special waterway transport permit.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Apply for a permit for special transport on a provincial waterway

If you transport by water, there are rules on what you may carry on your vessel. There are also rules on the size of your vessel. Do you wish to transport something out of the ordinary? Or is your vessel larger than allowed under the rules? Then you must apply for a permit. The waterway manager determines whether you will be granted the permit.

You will often travel through multiple waterways. If these waterways have different managers, you must be authorised by all these managers.

The conditions for applying for the exemption are as follows:

You wish to travel with a vessel larger than that allowed by a waterway, or You wish to travel with a vessel holding special goods on the waterway. The province manages the waterway you wish to use. You have examined whether you can use the waterway.

How to apply for an exemption for special transport:

You first have to check whether the waterway you wish to use is suitable for your transport. The report you then receive lists any measures you need to take.

You then apply for the permit with the Digitaal loket bijzonder transport – DLBT (Special Transport Digital Desk). The managers of different waterways look at your application for exemption together.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Zuid-Holland

Visiting address

Zuid-Hollandplein 1

2596AW Den Haag

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 2 January 2024