Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a permit for special transport on a waterway

There are rules for waterways, such as rivers and canals. For example, how big your ship is allowed to be to use the waterway. Is your ship larger than allowed? Or do you want to carry special goods on the waterway? You must then apply for a special waterway transport permit.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Apply for a permit for special transport on a provincial waterway

You need permission for many special traffic situations. This applies, for example, when you plan to:

  • transport large or heavy goods
  • operate a ship larger than officially permitted
  • have a plane take off or land at a location besides an airport
  • offer a public transport service.

You request this permission from the operator of the road or waterway. The road operator is usually the national government, province, water board or the municipality.

The conditions for applying for the exemption are as follows:

  • You wish to travel with a vessel larger than that allowed by a waterway, or
  • You wish to travel with a vessel holding special goods on the waterway.
  • The province manages the waterway you wish to use.
  • You have examined whether you can use the waterway.

How to apply for an exemption for special transport:

  • You first have to check whether the waterway you wish to use is suitable for your transport. The report you then receive lists any measures you need to take.
  • You then apply for the permit with the Digitaal loket bijzonder transport – DLBT (Special Transport Digital Desk). The managers of different waterways look at your application for exemption together.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Overijssel

Visiting address

Luttenbergstraat 2

8012EE Zwolle

Opening hours
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
Last updated on 2 January 2024