Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a permit for special transport on a waterway

There are rules for waterways, such as rivers and canals. For example, how big your ship is allowed to be to use the waterway. Is your ship larger than allowed? Or do you want to carry special goods on the waterway? You must then apply for a special waterway transport permit.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Apply for a permit for special transport on provincial waterways

When manoeuvring on the water, rules apply about what you can transport and how large a ship can be. Do you want to transport special goods over a waterway, such as a canal or a river? Or do you want to sail with a ship that is larger than permitted? In that case, you need to apply for a permit via the Digital Special Transport Desk.

The conditions for applying for the exemption are:

  • You want to sail a ship on a waterway that is larger than permitted, or
  • You want to sail on the waterway with a ship carrying special goods.
  • The provincial authorities manage the waterway that you want to use.
  • You have investigated whether you can use the waterway.

This is how you apply for a special transport exemption:

  • First, you need to have it checked whether the waterway you want to use is suitable for your type of transport. The report you subsequently receive will contain any measures you need to take.

  • After that, you need to apply for a permit via the Digital Special Transport Desk. The managers of the various waterways will jointly consider your application for an exemption.

You proceed to apply for a permit via the Digital Special Transport Desk.

If you have applied for a permit, you will receive the decision within 8 weeks from the date we received your application. We can extend this period once only by 6 weeks.

If you have applied for a permit and you do not agree with our decision on your application, you can lodge an objection. You will need to do this within 6 weeks of the decision. If you disagree with the decision on your objection, you can lodge an appeal with the court within 6 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Noord-Holland

Visiting address

Houtplein 33

2012DE Haarlem

Opening hours
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
Last updated on 2 January 2024