Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a permit for special transport on a waterway

There are rules for waterways, such as rivers and canals. For example, how big your ship is allowed to be to use the waterway. Is your ship larger than allowed? Or do you want to carry special goods on the waterway? You must then apply for a special waterway transport permit.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Apply for a permit for special transport on a provincial waterway

There are rules about what you can transport by water and how big a vessel can be. If you are planning to transport special goods over an inland waterway, such as down a canal or a river, or if you want to operate a vessel that is larger than officially permitted, you can apply for a permit through the online permitting services desk for special transport (Digitaal loket bijzonder transport, or DLBT).

The conditions for applying for the exemption are as follows:

  • You wish to travel with a vessel larger than that allowed by a waterway, or
  • You wish to travel with a vessel holding special goods on the waterway.
  • The province manages the waterway you wish to use.
  • You have examined whether you can use the waterway.

How to apply for an exemption for special transport:

  • You first have to check whether the waterway you wish to use is suitable for your transport. The report you then receive lists any measures you need to take.
  • You then apply for the permit with the Digitaal loket bijzonder transport – DLBT (Special Transport Digital Desk). The managers of different waterways look at your application for exemption together.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Flevoland

Visiting address

Visarenddreef 1

8232PH Lelystad

Opening hours
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
Last updated on 2 January 2024