Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a permit for an activity on a Natura 2000 site

Do you want to carry out activities in or close to a Natura 2000 site? For example, building a house or cutting down trees. Some activities are harmful to nature because they disturb the habitat of plants or animals. You must therefore apply for a permit from the province where you plan to carry out the activities.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Requesting a permit for activities in a Natura 2000 area

It is forbidden to carry out activities that may have an impact on the quality of a Natura 2000 site without authorisation. The same therefore applies to the degradation, disruption or disturbance of the habitats of plant and animal species at the site. You apply for the permit with the province. Do you need an environmental permit for other elements such as environment, construction or conflicting use? You can then apply to the competent authority for site protection or species protection. In many cases this is the municipality. The municipality then requests a declaration of no objection (DNO) from the province to granting this element.

You apply for the permit with the province in which the project is located.

You must apply for a permit if:

  • you wish to carry out a project or activities that could adversely affect a Natura 2000 site. For example, because of the expansion of your agricultural holding, leading to an increase in nitrogen deposition in the Natura 2000 site,
  • it cannot be ruled out in advance that your activities might adversely affect the quality of natural habitats or cause the habitats to deteriorate,
  • and/or it cannot be ruled out in advance that your activities might have a disruptive effect on the plant and animal species for which the site has been designated,
  • these activities are not exempted in a management plan or regulation as referred to in the Nature Conservation Act.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Groningen

Last updated on 4 January 2024