Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an exemption relating to protected plants and animals

There are rules for the protection of animals and plants. Are you planning to carry out an activity that is harmful to protected plants or animals? For example, renovating a house where bats are present. Then you must request permission from the province. This is called an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Protected animal and plant species

In the Netherlands there are strict rules to protect nature. For example, killing protected animal species or picking protected plant species are prohibited by law. You are also not allowed to make excessive noise in a quiet nature reserve (areas marked as Stiltegebied). Sometimes an exception to the rules can be made, but a dispensation or a permit must be obtained to do so.

If you want to do something in or near a ‘Natura 2000’ nature reserve that will affect the quality of the protected area, you first need a permit from us.

If you plan to cut down a large number of trees in a wooded area, you must notify us of this in advance. We may impose a felling ban to prevent you from cutting down the trees.

You can only obtain an exemption under the following conditions:

There is no other suitable solution. It is in the interest of public health and safety.

  • It is in the interest of air traffic safety.
  • The aim is to prevent damage to crops, livestock, forests, commercial fisheries and waters.
  • The aim is to protect plant and animal species.
  • The aim is to promote research or education, or to restock or reintroduce plant and animal species.
  • In the case of certain birds: it is necessary to allow the capture, keeping and sensible use of these birds in small quantities in a selective and strictly controlled manner.
  • Your activities do not reduce the population of the plant or animal species.

An exemption for management and damage control may be granted by the province to a wildlife management unit on the basis of an approved wildlife management plan. There are some exceptions, which are set out in the wildlife management plan.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Overijssel

Visiting address

Luttenbergstraat 2

8012EE Zwolle

Opening hours
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
Last updated on 2 June 2023