Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an exemption relating to protected plants and animals

There are rules for the protection of animals and plants. Are you planning to carry out an activity that is harmful to protected plants or animals? For example, renovating a house where bats are present. Then you must request permission from the province. This is called an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Protected animal and plant species

Killing or disturbing a protected animal is prohibited by law. It is also an offence to pick, cut or uproot protected plant species. In some cases you can get an exemption for this, which you can request from the provincial authorities.

You can only obtain an exemption under the following conditions:

There is no other suitable solution. It is in the interest of public health and safety.

  • It is in the interest of air traffic safety.
  • The aim is to prevent damage to crops, livestock, forests, commercial fisheries and waters.
  • The aim is to protect plant and animal species.
  • The aim is to promote research or education, or to restock or reintroduce plant and animal species.
  • In the case of certain birds: it is necessary to allow the capture, keeping and sensible use of these birds in small quantities in a selective and strictly controlled manner.
  • Your activities do not reduce the population of the plant or animal species.

An exemption for management and damage control may be granted by the province to a wildlife management unit on the basis of an approved wildlife management plan. There are some exceptions, which are set out in the wildlife management plan.

Consult with the stakeholders first. This is, for example, the manager of the nature conservation area. Check the province’s website in advance for more information

This is how you apply for a permit:

  • Go to the online Omgevingsloket (in Dutch). This is the service counter for environmental and planning permits.
  • Do the permit check.
  • You will be told whether you need to apply for a permit. You can do this right away.
  • Log in:
    • for yourself: with DigiD

    • on behalf of a company: eHerkenning

You can apply for a permit from the provincial authorities via the Omgevingsloket.

The provincial authorities will make a decision on your permit application within 8 weeks. If the provincial authorities deem it necessary, they can extend this period by a maximum of 6 weeks.

You can lodge your objection to the decision on your application with the provincial authorities within 6 weeks. Do you disagree with the decision? In that case, you can appeal through the courts within 6 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Noord-Brabant

Visiting address

Brabantlaan 1

5216TV 's-Hertogenbosch

Opening hours
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
08:00 - 17:00
Last updated on 2 June 2023