Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an exemption for a competition on a provincial road

Would you like to organise a competition on a provincial road? For example, a cycling race. Then you must apply for an exemption for this. You can apply for the exemption from the province.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Road racing

If you are planning to organise a competition on or along a public road, you will need to apply for an exemption (ontheffing) for your event, which will only be granted if you can demonstrate that the participants and organisers are insured. You can apply for the exemption from the road operator. This is usually the municipality, the province or Rijkswaterstaat.

You can apply for an exemption if the following apply:

  • you wish to organise a competition using the public roadway
  • the competition takes place in the area of multiple municipalities

You are eligible for exemption if your application meets the following conditions:

  • you can demonstrate that measures have been taken in the form of civil liability insurance for potential damage

  • you can demonstrate approval from the relevant road managers and their willingness to cooperate with the event

  • it appears from the application that exemptions from the Reglement verkeersregels en verkeerstekens (Traffic Rules and Signs Regulation) 1990 are necessary

The exemption is requested from the road manager. The road manager is one of these:

  • The regional directorate of Rijkswaterstaat if the road is managed by the state.
  • The province if the road is located in the territory of multiple municipalities or on provincial roads.
  • The municipality if the road is within that municipality.

If you have applied for a permit, in most cases the regular process applies. In this case you will receive the decision within 8 weeks from the date we received your application. We can extend this period once only by 6 weeks. For certain situations an extended process applies. With the extended process, it will take an average of 6 months before we make a final decision on your application.

If you have applied for a permit, your application could go through one of two processes, as described below.

Regular process

  • If you do not agree with our decision on your application, you can lodge an objection. You will need to do this within 6 weeks of the decision.
  • If you disagree with the decision on your objection, you can lodge an appeal with the court within 6 weeks.

Extended process

  • We will make the provisional decision available for inspection for 6 weeks.
  • During this period, any interested party can give their opinion on this by ‘submitting a representation’ (zienswijze indienen).
  • We will then make our final decision.
  • Anyone who has submitted a representation and does not agree with our final decision can lodge an appeal against this with the court.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Noord-Holland

Visiting address

Houtplein 33

2012DE Haarlem

Opening hours
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
Last updated on 2 June 2023