Single Digital Gateway

Province of Groningen: applying for an exemption for a competition on a provincial road

You are obliged to apply for an exemption if you wish to hold competitions on the public roadway. You apply for the exemption with the manager of that road. The exemption will only be granted if demonstrable measures are in place to ensure the safety of participants and organisers. The Wet aansprakelijkheidsverzekering motorrijtuigen (Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Act) applies.


The exemption is requested from the road manager. The road manager is one of these:

  • The regional directorate of Rijkswaterstaat if the road is managed by the state.
  • The province if the road is located in the territory of multiple municipalities or on provincial roads.
  • The municipality if the road is within that municipality.

You can apply for an exemption if the following apply:

  • you wish to organise a competition using the public roadway,
  • the competition takes place in the area of multiple municipalities.

You are eligible for exemption if your application meets the following conditions:

  • you can demonstrate that measures have been taken in the form of civil liability insurance for potential damage,
  • you can demonstrate approval from the relevant road managers and their willingness to cooperate with the event,
  • it appears from the application that exemptions from the Reglement verkeersregels en verkeerstekens (Traffic Rules and Signs Regulation) 1990 are necessary.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Groningen

Last updated on 27 February 2024