Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an exemption for activities in an area containing a source of drinking water

Areas containing sources of drinking water are protected. Do you want to carry out activities in such an area? This is only allowed if you have an exemption from the province. Or if you have submitted a notification in advance. For example, introducing substances into the soil that may contaminate the soil. Some activities are always prohibited. The province can provide you with more information.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Carrying out activities in a drinking water supply area

Areas where groundwater is extracted to produce drinking water are protected areas. You may only carry out activities close to the source of drinking water if you have an exemption for this from the provincial authorities or if you have reported this in advance. Certain activities are always strictly prohibited: you cannot get an exemption for these. You can find out more from the provincial authorities.

The province assesses each exemption application separately. Rules may be laid down to protect the area from contamination.

You submit the notification or request an exemption for carrying out activities within a water catchment or groundwater catchment area with the province.

If you have applied for a permit, in most cases the regular process applies. In this case you will receive the decision within 8 weeks from the date the Omgevingsdienst Noordzeekanaalgebied received your application. The Omgevingsdienst Noordzeekanaalgebied can extend this period once only by 6 weeks.

For certain situations an extended process applies. With the extended process, it will take an average of 6 months before the the Omgevingsdienst Noordzeekanaalgebied makes a final decision on your application.

If you have applied for a permit and you do not agree with our decision on your application, you can lodge an objection. You will need to do this within 6 weeks of the decision. If you disagree with the decision on your objection, you can lodge an appeal with the court within 6 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Noord-Holland

Visiting address

Houtplein 33

2012DE Haarlem

Opening hours
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
08:00 - 18:00
Last updated on 3 January 2024