Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an earth removal permit

Do you want to remove a large amount of earth? For example, to build a basement or a deep pond on your property? If so, you will need an earth removal permit. You can apply for the permit from your province.

NB: If it concerns earth removal in national waters or the North Sea (in Dutch), you must apply for an earth removal permit from Rijkswaterstaat.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Earth removal permit

If you are planning to excavate soil, you need planning permission in the form of an ‘all-in-one permit for physical aspects’ (omgevingsvergunning). You can request this through the provincial authorities. If this involves removal of sediment (dredging) in national waters, the permit must be requested from the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management.

The conditions for obtaining an earth removal permit include:

  • the excavation corresponds to the land use plan
  • the landowner has granted permission for the excavation

You must provide the following information with your application:

  • the type of work you intend to carry out and the location (address)

  • the amount and depth of ground to be removed

  • the type of material you intend to excavate

  • the date on which you intend to start the excavation and the estimated duration

  • the address details and permission of the landowner

You must apply to the province for an earth removal permit. Do you intend to carry out excavation work in state-owned water? Then you must apply for an earth removal permit from the Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Zeeland

Visiting address

Adbij 6

4331BK Middelburg

Opening hours
07:30 - 16:30
07:30 - 16:30
07:30 - 16:30
07:30 - 16:30
07:30 - 16:30