Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an earth removal permit

Do you want to remove a large amount of earth? For example, to build a basement or a deep pond on your property? If so, you will need an earth removal permit. You can apply for the permit from your province.

NB: If it concerns earth removal in national waters or the North Sea (in Dutch), you must apply for an earth removal permit from Rijkswaterstaat.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Earth removal permit

Any person who intends to excavate soil must have an earth removal permit (ontgrondingsvergunning). Excavation means digging up the soil, and thereby reducing it. This applies to soil on land (at surface level) and soil underwater. A layer of ground such as clay, peat, sand or gravel is removed in this operation. Examples of excavation include:

  • sand extraction
  • water storage
  • habitat creation.

You must always apply for an earth removal permit, even if the soil is only reduced temporarily. An exemption applies in a number of cases. See ‘Excavation, permit-free’.

You must apply to the province for an earth removal permit. Do you intend to carry out excavation work in state-owned water? Then you must apply for an earth removal permit from the Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management.

The conditions for obtaining an earth removal permit include: the excavation corresponds to the land use plan; the landowner has granted permission for the excavation.

You must provide the following information with your application:

  • the type of work you intend to carry out and the location (address);
  • the amount and depth of ground to be removed;
  • the type of material you intend to excavate;
  • the date on which you intend to start the excavation and the estimated duration;
  • the address details and permission of the landowner.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Groningen