Single Digital Gateway

Applying for an affordable housing permit

Do you want to rent affordable, social housing? In some municipalities you need anaffordable housing permit (huisvestingsvergunning) for this. Check with your municipality whether this applies in your municipality. If necessary, apply to your municipality for the affordable housing permit.

Are you going to rent social housing from a housing corporation (woningbouwcorporatie)? Then in many municipalities you do not need an affordable housing permit, but in some you do. Check with your municipality.

The eligibility conditions for an affordable housing permit differ depending on the municipality. Eligibility criteria may stipulate that:

  • you work or study in the municipality or region;
  • you already live (or have lived) in the municipality or region;
  • the property matches your income and the size of your family.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Applying for an affordable housing permit

Please note: you can apply for an affordable housing permit only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

To be eligible for an affordable housing permit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Your income meets the conditions. Read more at Central government: requirements for your (joint) income
  • The living space of your new home is suitable for the number of people who will live there. From 80 m2 you must occupy the house with at least 3 people. The living area includes the living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. No more people may live there than permitted in the Building Regulations (minimum 14m2 living space per person)

If you rent through Vidomes or Wooninvest, you arrange the housing permit through these landlords.

If you are renting through another rental organization or from a private individual, first request the application form from the municipality by telephone. If necessary, have your employer complete the income statement and then make an appointment to submit the form to the municipality. Bring the following documents to that appointment:

  •    Copy of valid proof of identity or copy of valid residence document (if you do not have Dutch nationality)
  • Have your employer fill in the income statement on the back of the form in advance. Or enclose a copy of the last payslip, recent income specification from benefit or pension agency or recent income tax assessment, both from the applicant and from persons moving with them.
  • In the event of a divorce, a copy of a provisional provision or other legally valid document showing to which partner the home has been allocated

An affordable housing permit costs € 23,10.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Leidschendam-Voorburg

Last updated on 26 September 2022